Flash Optimization Tips
We are attempting to optimise an existing Flash animation to be web friendly.
The current animation has a stage size of 640 x 480. While reducing the stage
size and compressing the audio has proved successful its still not enough.
Is there a way we can exclude any animation occurring off stage with out
editing the animation frame by frame? Is there any technique or Freeware
utility or paid for Application that anyone can recommend?
We know about Optimaze, but is that all?
There are all kinds of things you do in this department that will save on
1) Try Optimaze - it helps in a lot of cases without degrading your
animation. Specifically designed for SWF optimization - no guarantees
2) Modify > Shape > Optimize in Flash for any vectors with a lot of detail.
Run over each object in small increments until you're still happy with the
anim itself but the file size is lower.
3) If you've imported vectors from Freehand or Illustrator, make sure to
break them apart in Flash (Ctrl+B until you see meshed dots) and then
regroup them. This gets rid of unnecessary background fills.
4) As far as removing anims that are offstage, make sure they don't appear
until they absolutely have to on the timeline and then get rid of them using
blank keyframes when they're offstage. This will help save on the users
system resources and the whole thing will move better.
5) Do NOT leave raw data on the stage - convert everything to symbols and
reuse them as much as possible. Raw data on the stage = bad for processor.
6) Um ... That's all I've got right this second. I was busy writing an
article but I saw this and thought I'd help out.